The site was two stories high along the back three rows of rooms within the main complex and some of the central rooms of the wings. During excavation a total of 110+ ground floor rooms and an additional 67+ second story rooms were defined for the original town. Based on an interpolation of room counts from excavated areas into areas having undergone limited excavation, the estimated total room count for the ground floor of the original Chacoan structure is approximately 150 rooms.
Primary occupation inhabitants abandoned the site circa A.D. 1130. There was a general hiatus in absolute dates up until circe A.D. 1185. During this hiatus, the site underwent a period of minimal occupation which has been termed the Intermediate occupation. The site was reoccupied during the end of the 12th centruy, circa A.D. 1185. This major reoccupation of the site was termed the Secondary occupation. Based on artifact assemblages and the style of architectural modifications, the final occupants of the Salmon Pueblo were from or had very close ties with the inhabitants of the Mesa Verde area, some 77 km northwest of Salmon.
Text from San Juan County Archaeological Research Center's pamphlet "Salmon Ruins & Heritage Park".