Lowry Pueblo is a part of Canyons of the Ancients National Monument. Named after early homesteader George Lowry, it was constructed
about AD 1060 on top of abandoned pithouses from an earlier occupation.The inhabitants were farmers who also hunted small game, made elaborately decorated pottery,
and wove cotton obtained by trade.
The pueblo was home to about 100 people. Many rooms were probably plastered inside and painted with bold geometric designs. Walls are constructed of double layers of stone blocks, alternating with bands of smaller stones called spalls, enclosing a core of sandstone rubble fill.
Like most Puebloan settlements, Lowry includes a number of kivas- round, subterranean rooms for ceremonial and domestic activities. The Lowry site also includes a "great kiva." Great kivas are 2-3 times larger than most kivas, and seem to have served a different purpose.This one may have been a focal point for surrounding communities.
Lowry's architecture and masonry, as well as the presence of the great kiva, indicate that it was one of the northernmost Chaco outliers- settlements strongly influenced by the cultural region of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, about 100 miles south. Outliers appear to have belonged to a vast system spread across the Four Corners area.
Lowry Pueblo was excavated during summer field seasons 1930-1936 by Paul S. Martin of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1967.
During the 1930s excavations, a kiva with a decorative mural was discovered inside the village. The kiva was backfilled to preserve it. When the fill dirt was removed in 1974, the mural began to discolor and peel away due to exposure to light and air. None of it survives today, except for a salvaged fragment displayed at the Anasazi Heritage Center.
Text from Colorado BLM website.