CoronadoHome CoronadoHistory CoronadoPhoto Gallery CoronadoMaps Southwest Archaeology Links SouthwestArchaeology.com
     Like silent sentinels that gradually yield their watch to the ever-downward pull of Mother Earth, the earthen remains of Kuaua, a once thriving Pueblo Indian farming village located on the western bank of the Rio Grande in northern New Mexico, stand to tell their story. Kuaua (kwah-wah), meaning evergreen in the Tiwa language, is a part of a bigger picture, an epic drama that spans two millennia. The scene is set in a landscape of desert and mountains stretching from the Four Corners region of the American Southwest southward into Mexico.
      Two thousand years ago people were already living in the vicinity of Kuaua, hunting game and gathering wild plants for food, medicine, clothing, and shelter. By AD 600, members of the ancestral pueblo culture, formerly known as "Anasazi", had constructed pithouses, semi-subterranean earthen dwellings, several hundred yards from today's Coronado Visitor Center. Drought-driven immigrants from settlements to the west and to the north, such as Mesa Verde in southwestern Colorado, joined groups living along the Rio Grande during the 13th and 14th centuries.
     Our understanding of Kuaua has come about through historical records, beginning with 16th-century Spanish journals written by members of the 1549-42 Coronado expedition; archaeological investigations that took place from the late 19th century to the close of the 20th century; and from oral traditions of contemporary Pueblo Indians, whose ancestors handed down stories to them.
Established March 7th, 1935, Coronado State Monument is one of five state heritage sites administered by State Monuments, a unit of the Museum of New Mexico's Office of Cultural Affairs. Other Monuments under this administration include Jemez , Fort Sumner, Lincoln, and Fort Selden.
     Coronado State Monument, located in Bernalillo, New Mexico on State Highway 44 (U.S. 550), is 17 miles north of Albuquerque, one mile west of Interstate 25-Exit 242.

Text, Map and Pueblo Detail from Coronado State Monument publication - Museum of New Mexico's Office of Cultural Affairs.